Tuesday 1 April 2014

White rabbits 
Low Tide 06:18 (0.30m)
High Tide 12:29 (2.50m)
Low Tide 18:28 (0.50m)
Sea temperature: 8.5
Sea conditions: glassy water reflecting the low sun, slightly eerie as a result.
Weather: warm, gentle breeze misty inland but clearing out to sea.
Joined by: The Usual Suspects
Topics of conversation:
The LE was already on the beach doing her Tai Chi when the dogs and I arrived and I thought I was late, but it was just the girls to start with. The dogs and I are now taking our longer route down to the beach, across the low field, and the mist had given me a false sense of cold - by the time we were all assembled it was warm enough for us to comment on it and for The Poet to forget his gloves, or was that yesterday? I can't remember, but I do remember that later in the day The LE and I discussed getting our faces wet again as the temperature has continued to rise.


A new pattern is emerging with the boys dawdling and chatting on the shingle (only just on the shingle as DK was keen to note - he doesn't allow us to camp on the sand) and the girls getting in, out and off. This means I get to take shots like this, (which reminds me that a lovely lady took photos of us all the other day and I gave her the address of the blog, so hopefully we will get to see some of us all in the sea together one day).

 
The LE told us about her lovely Mother's Day picnic on the beach with her daughter on Sunday, it sounded idyllic. A friend had visited me on Saturday, cycling for 2 hours to get here and finding me also in the dunes, but digging the sand out of our 'terrace' where it collects each winter, I reckon I shifted about a ton of sand by the time she arrived so we both felt we'd earned a drink in the pub, where DK's son had just finished his first shift behind the bar. 
We all agreed that it was a good time of year to live here; before the hoards arrive, whilst the sun is still low in the sky whilst we swim. Spades were the order of the weekend for many of us - half the village seemed to be down at the huts with the contents emptied out in the sun whilst we cleaned, cleared and dug out or piled up sand, and the the other half were working hard on their allotments. One of the allotments has been taken over by The GGB's (Gorgeous Glamour Boys), and blimey - what a transformation! 

It looks like something from Country Living, they've done such an amazing job, makes me feel such a wimp for giving up on my main veg plot, but the mare's tail just got into my soul, wrapped its tiny hairy roots around it and squeezed till it hurt. I'm only doing squashes, chillies and corn this year. Well my Mother's doing the chillies, she's the expert, and I HOPE to be doing corn, if Legs gets home in time (or pops some seed in the post - hint, hint). I'm tempted to live vicariously through the GGB's 'lottie, as I walk past each day, and post photos of it throughout the season. Perhaps if I make them more alcoholic ice cream they'll bring us the odd spud....

No comments:

Post a Comment