Monday 12 August 2013

High Tide02:31 (2.40m)
Low Tide08:14 (0.80m)
High Tide14:40 (2.60m)
Low Tide20:53 (0.60m)
Sea temperature: 18.1/18.2
Sea conditions: good
Weather: A real chill in the air "Autumnal" has been DK's word of the week.
Joined by: The Usual Suspects
Topics of conversation:
There's been a bit of a hiatus, a kind of blogger's holiday as I've been on a break of sorts as well as on a TM course, so whilst I have been swimming most of the time I've not had the time nor the inclination to sit at my computer for any length of time. This week is back to normal, or as normal as life gets during these weeks of transition, so blog service will resume.
The LE and I had had a discussion about the Perseids meteor shower yesterday and so had both been out stargazing last night, neither with any luck, but she had definitely put in more effort. They had set their alarm and driven down to the harbour at 3am whilst I'd just put blankets out on the concrete deck, which had retained the heat of the day and was rather comfy. For once I'd managed to persuade Mertz to join me by getting settled with the dogs outside. He missed them... Ironically he was the only one who saw anything - a decent meteor with a great trail. Apparently it's worth looking again tonight as it will be even more obvious but further to the west. My Star Walk app had been really useful for locating the right spot and as the others arrived on the beach we were busy doing a virtual star gaze. Sara was amused that I "would believe anything" but she did get a little hooked once she saw that it was aligned with reality, and wondered how I'd found it. I don't think she's realised what a geek I am.




The Poet arrived with a large container of engine oil under his arm, which he proffered in my direction. He has recently sold his family MG and was about to throw away the container as it's for old petrol engines and they only have new diesel ones left when he remembered my beloved old Landrover. She's due for an MOT next week so I have all fingers and toes crossed as I've done all the work I can on her but I'm not up to suspension work and there is a slight chance that the springs won't make it through this time. We discussed the joy old cars can bring, if you don't find yourself either in constant fear that you might push it too far or in a constant state of mechanic. I've had a brief window of neither of these and The Poet said it showed on my face as I drove past him at speed the other day in the old girl. It will be a sad day when 'the decision' has to be made, she's been in the family for 40 years.
Oscar Redding, actor, screenwriter and director - Sara and The Poet had discovered that a friend of the family's son is currently playing Sarge in Top of the Lake, which a few of us are watching at the moment. He's a truly nasty character and his father had clearly pointed out that Oscar isn't, when they'd seen him this weekend. 
He's got one of those faces that lends itself to slightly unsettling, misunderstood or just nasty roles that have you feeling sorry for him. 
There was much talk this morning about DK's new purchase, a dog basket with a difference that attaches to the front of his bike. He'd tried it out with Mabel this morning for the first time and if she had feathers they would have been well and truly ruffled. As we left she began to look wary and by the time we jemmied her little legs into the basket she wouldn't even eat a biscuit as a treat for being a good girl. Hopefully she will get used to it....




No comments:

Post a Comment