Wednesday 29 May 2013

High Tide02:12 (2.50m)
Low Tide08:04 (0.70m)
High Tide14:17 (2.60m)
Low Tide20:45 (0.40m)
Sea temperature: 11.7
Sea conditions: calm, brown and sludgy
Weather: warmer, but threatening to rain
Joined by The Poet, Artist and Light Entertainment
Topics of conversation:
The Pirate's trip to the British Museum - he'd seen the Ice Age exhibition (Ice Age Art) as well as the Pompeii show (Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum) which he'd been impressed by. He'd found a tiny flute, made from a bird bone particularly touching and was clearly miles away, or perhaps years away. I'd also heard from The Pirate's wife that she now has her ticket for the David Bowie exhibition and having watched the Five Years film last night I'd recommended it to her as it covers four of the best years of his work. There are lots of clips from The Man Who Fell to Earth in this BBC film, as well as interviews with the director, Nicolas Roeg, who gives a fascinating perspective.
One of my favourite photos of Bowie

One of my favourite photos of me - only just realised why
It's getting to that time of year when someone from the group is in London everyday, being cultured or social. 
Sea Kale - The L.E. sent me a link to her book Edible Sea Shore, which I intend to buy, and I'd found some growing on the beach earlier. I gave The L.E. a leaf I'd picked and Mabel decided she would rather like to try it and kept jumping up, finally succeeding in persuading her to tear a small piece off for her to try. DK then showed us her party trick (Mabel's, not The LE), he put a dog biscuit in his mouth and she jumped up and grabbed it, which resulted in lots of 'euuuuew' noises, both from DK and The Swimmers as he got a gob full of dog lick. Luna had been chilly this morning so she'd settled down on my coat and I'd covered her with my towel, this turned out to be of benefit to us both as she decided to come down to the sea's edge to greet me when I came out. She didn't shrug the towel off, but instead carried it down to me on her back - as if she'd been trained too. We were discussing having to wash the kale well before cooking as it would be likely that it had been peed on by dogs, when The Poet asked if anyone had any thoughts on how to collect dog urine, so we all puzzled over his conundrum - how to collect urine from a low squatting dog. There were some interesting suggestions, but if you google it you'll be amazed how many ideas come up - just be careful to put the word 'vet' into the search... How to collect a sample
The Artist had come down with no intention of swimming, but once we all went in she just couldn't resist and so she came in in her undergarments, spontaneity   being her middle name. She did admit to me later that she was pleased no-one had stopped her in the car on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment