Tuesday 2 April 2013

High Tide03:17 (2.40m)
Low Tide09:17 (0.80m)
High Tide15:35 (2.30m)
Low Tide21:46 (0.70m)
Sea temperature: 3.4
Sea conditions: shallow and splashy
Weather: bitter wind still 
Joined by: Sara and The Poet
Topics of conversation:
April fools - we talked about various pranks over the years, including the San Serif one from the Guardian and whilst searching for a reference I found this Guardian blog, which covers some of the others we discussed as well as those that could've been, but weren't: Guardian April Fool blog
Baldrick's poetry - DK and I recited Balrick's war poem for The Poet as we'd been discussing his impending trip to Ypres:
The bloody wind - this morning would've been so much more pleasant if the wind hadn't been blowing, the sea was cold but it still felt better to be in than out. The sea temperature was hovering between 7 and 9 at this time last year so the cold March weather has certainly delayed any spring warming of the water. It was this time last year that both The Viking and I damaged our hamstrings and I had an enforced rest from swimming. This year it'll be a different kind of rest for me as I'm going to warmer climes later. The Viking is skiing again but hopefully will return fit and well.
Chickenpox - The Pirate wasn't with us as his granddaughter has chickenpox so can't go to the childminder and he is in charge. I  hadn't realised how complicated and dangerous it is and that all the other nasty things like shingles and herpes are related. Sara is an expert, having had all 3 of her children suffer with it as tiny people, in rotation, in their eyes, poor sods. I had it as an adult when I was working in London and came down with it whilst staying here for a long weekend. This meant I couldn't go back to work and spent 2 weeks  feeling a bit crap, having no appetite and being in quarantine, which effectively meant sitting at the deserted end of the beach and sunbathing without any clothes on to dry up the spots. When I went back to work my grumpy boss wouldn't believe I'd been ill as I'd slept like a log, lost a stone, and got a tan. As I write this I realise that this is what I'm hoping to do on holiday, but without the feeling crap bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment