Sunday 24 February 2013

Low Tide03:25 (0.70m)
High Tide10:00 (2.30m)
Low Tide15:31 (0.80m)
High Tide21:50 (2.40m)
Sea temperature: not taken
Sea conditions: terrifying
Weather: very strong wind, snowing lightly
Joined by: just DK and I again today
Topics of conversation:
Thanks to the Vicar's Wife - the 'on loan' beach hut was very welcome this morning as the wind was so strong that Mabel would probably have blown away, let alone our clothes. We were determined to go in nonetheless and being able to stay relatively warm and dry whilst getting undressed makes things a good deal easier. My older dog had refused to come down so it was just the two youngsters who made themselves busy digging under the hut for rabbits whilst we had a very quick dip. It was the kind of sea that I would not normally even think about going in but this morning I was too much in need and put my fears to one side. It was, as mentioned above, terrifying, I am not exaggerating for effect, I was actually terrified at one point but the fear only makes it feel better when you get out. I think I am going to change the quote at the top of this blog to a couple of lines from Al Alvarez's book, which we discussed again this morning:
...there's nothing risky about cold water swimming and the adrenaline rush when you dive in is inevitable. Which is why I am hooked on it. Cold water swimming is the poor man's adrenalin sport; you don't even have to be fit and it makes you feel healthy with a minimum of effort.
Perhaps I should get Uncle Mike to ask permission first.

No comments:

Post a Comment