Tuesday 22 January 2013

Low Tide00:34 (1.10m)
High Tide06:54 (2.10m)
Low Tide13:07 (1.00m)
High Tide19:41 (2.20m)
Sea temperature: not taken
Sea conditions: too rough for The Pirate and I
Weather: the thaw has begun
Joined by: The Poet
Topics of conversation:
The snow sea-maiden - who made her? Last year The Pirate's No. 2 Son made a huge snowman and so I suspected him, but The Pirate didn't think so. She was beautiful but by the time I went for my evening walk she had but melted away, into a sad pile of driftwood, seaweed and pebbles. I've just read a story from New Fairy Tales called The Ice Baby by Carys Bray and finding this the next day was quite extraordinary. In the story the ice baby is given a real heart by her maker, our sea-maiden's lot is not so happy. The Poet felt a poem coming on, or perhaps even a saga... 

I found this for him by Nils-Aslak Valkeapää (1943-2001), Sámi poet and artist, who won the Nordic Council Literary Prize in 1991 for his book The Sun, My Father (1997):
and time does not exist, no end, none
and time is, eternal, always, is
rises, falls
is born, dies
thus,
days, years are rounded
snow melts
buds push
the river of life
into deep pools
in motion
the trek in the heart
land
rounded off
life’s circle
infinite
without
beginning
or end
fulfills
changes
colors 
life



No comments:

Post a Comment