Tuesday 27 November 2012

Low Tide03:16 (0.90m)
High Tide09:29 (2.40m)
Low Tide15:31 (0.80m)
High Tide22:01 (2.50m)
Sea temperature: 9.5 and stable
Sea conditions: Gentle waves at last
Weather: Biblical sunrise but dark clouds gathering
Joined by: Sara and The Poet
Topics of conversation:
The geese - as The Pirate and I met by the huts we'd already witnessed in excess of 400 geese fly over, skein after skein. One of my student groups is working on a bridging lesson this week, taking them from biology to geography by means of the study of migratory birds so I took a few shots of these transient visitors for them.



The Pirate and I discussed the freedom with which Steiner teachers are able to plan lessons, I find it a wonderful challenge to plan the flow of one main lesson subject to the next and now that I don't teach in a school I work with each group to plan classes to suit. This group have only known me since I first travelled to take part in dog trekking, so they think of me as Very Cold Claire and are keen to supplement their regular geography with a study of the far north, hence the project on migration. They will travel north in their lessons to follow the Greylag's journey and I will have a wonderful time planning their lessons.
Homeland/The Killing - The Poet was desperate to discuss Homeland, but as DK and I have not yet caught up he was banned. Gagging The Poet is not an easy task and he toyed with us as we went into the water. The Pirate confessed to falling asleep during The Killing and waking up to find that he didn't recognise characters, here's a catch up for you Pirate: The Killing ep 3/4 blog 
Sara and I were rather preoccupied having worked out that it was just over the allotted 14 days since it was assumed that there was a body in the river. Locals say this is how long a corpse takes to surface but during our conversation the boys broke into song, distracting us long enough to move on. We had to ask what they were singing, mainly because they all seemed to be holding a different tune, but perhaps it was just that we'd tuned out.
Technological upgrades and their pitfalls - Sara has been through the mill over the last week or so in her attempt to switch providers for her phone etc. as they clearly didn't want to let her go easily, but she seems finally to have received texts and calls on her new phone, now she needs to activate her iPad mini so we are crossing fingers that it will be smoother. Mertz has just been given one by his company and regardless of his resistance to anything Apple he's looking forward to using it as a Kindle. I'm looking forward to seeing if it suits me before splashing out.
Gloves - Sara's new Sealskins are way cool and regardless of the fact that she has lobster claws at the ends of her arms she is able to use the hand warmers inside. My new heated ones are not doing the job however. We decided that the best thing to do was to contact the company who make them, as they seem to be constantly developing new ones. As I don't have a microwave I need to boil them after each use but they take forever to dry as I can't wring them out and they look a bit freaky waving at me from the pan as the air moves from finger to thumb. Perhaps I just got the wrong ones for the job, and there's an alternative, watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment