Thursday 18 October 2012

High Tide00:40 (2.60m)
Low Tide06:45 (0.60m)
High Tide12:57 (2.80m)
Low Tide19:11 (0.60m)
Sea temperature: not taken - guessed at around 13. 
Sea conditions: Looked worse than it was once we were in
Weather: warm and windy
Joined by: Sara and The Poet
Topics of conversation:
The tide - it was turning as we went in and the pull was tremendous. We began to be dragged out quite quickly as it was rough and low but it was perfect for washing away the night and jumping the waves. The Pirate, having said we ought to get out really, and not get too cold, then turned around and threw himself back into the froth. When I asked if he was getting out or not so that I could get on the right side of him he did it again, shouting JUST ONE MORE! he's like a kid in the waves.
Sara and I had both had sleepless nights and speculated about whether this was because neither of us had swum yesterday, she'd wimped out, having looked out of the bedroom window and found the sight of the duvet more appealing than the sight of the 'lashing' as DK would call it. I notice that his son uses the same term to describe rain of any kind when he'd been round at the weekend - as in "we can still go to the driving range if it's lashing". It hadn't actually been lashing when we got to the beach yesterday but The Pirate and I waited for DK to test the water and he ended up half way to Scotland when he took his feet off the ground and swiftly got out, shaking his head. The Pirate was very cross with the sea and shouted at it, waving his stick and looking like The Wild Witch of the East, according to one of the Vikings, who saw this on Instagram.

I had an owie today (see previous post), having fallen over and damaged my knee and hand and it stung like hell as I got out, I guess that means it's doing it good. The friend who had helped me up when I fell had said that she always finds it encouraging when someone young and fit falls over, I'm not young or fit but The Pirate reassured me that it's all relative, and we do live in a village known by some as God's Waiting Room, so I should hang on to that thought.
Falling asleep whilst reading - Sara had been ploughing through research for her course and fallen asleep so we discussed ways in which we gather information and often do so till the late hours (probably another reason for the lack of sleep at night) The Pirate says he's a luddite and doesn't use the internet so his reading is always books whereas Sara's son is the opposite and has had to install software on his computer to stop him surfing whilst working. I wonder if I can install it secretly on Mertz work PC, which seems to stream live football when he's working? Actually I'm just as bad and I'd got carried away catching up with stuff online last night, having gone to bed to get an early night I found that an hour and a half had passed, must leave iPad downstairs. It's all Brainpicking's fault - here's the link for you Sara: Brainpickings


No comments:

Post a Comment