Wednesday 19 September 2012

High Tide01:04 (2.60m)
Low Tide07:01 (0.70m)
High Tide13:15 (2.80m)
Low Tide19:34 (0.50m
Sea Temperature: 15.8
Sea conditions: Very low tide and calm
Weather: sunny but REALLY cold - 6 degrees - the wind was bitter 
Joined by: No-one
East Anglian Mountains in the background

Topics of conversation:
Our attire - DK told me I was mad to be standing on the beach in just my costume and towel when he arrived (what he didn't know was that I had just been running along the beach in my costume with no towel) and he was in second layers, including a proper wooly jumper type thing. As The Pirate hadn't arrived we speculated, even placed bets as we do when we guess the water temperature, as to what he'd be wearing. I won - he's still in his dressing gown but after our walk home again I suspect he'll be digging out the track suit. The wind was blowing his gown as he arrived and we joked about his posing on the brow of the dunes with his chest out like Magnum PI, he said all he needed was a medallion. Should have got a shot of that... damn.
All in all The Pirate was on flying form, whether this was due to his recent cleansing lurgie or the new food regime wasn't clear (to him or us). He certainly looks well and this morning he RAN into the sea! We are all intrigued by the ADF (alternate day fasting) diet. The Pirate and The Pirate's Wife are experimenting with this hardcore technique, as seen in the recent Horizon Programme "Eat, Fast, Live Longer" and I'm attempting a softer approach, which involves 2 days a week of restricted eating. The theory being, broadly speaking, that your body goes into repair mode if it thinks it's not going to be fed regularly, more importantly so does your brain and it starts to reform connections once lost. The research is fascinating but of course the biggest down side (other than not eating very much on the fast days) is that we will probably never know if it's doing us any good. It's also having an interesting effect on the way we see food, Even though I'm eating much less during the week I'm back into cooking in a major way. I'm also delighted to discover that the sweetcorn, grown from seeds smuggled out of the US (I couldn't possibly tell you who by) is not only the best corn I've ever grown, but is only 85 calories for the biggest cobs - I could eat 6.
Peaches and cream corn just harvested
The Pirate's No.1 son is having a field day with calorie calculations and has a new game involving working out the best use of between 500 and 600 calories a day, so far we agreed that 50 pontefract cakes is the most bizarre. This one has legs though.
Talking of legs I have discovered that the secret to life, the universe and everything is squats. I finally plucked up the courage to ask Legs where she gets hers and she looked at me as if I was quite dense and said "50 squats a day.." So now I know. It still doesn't explain why hers start under her armpits though.
Jo's drama - I had this message from her last night, so now we know the full story: Thanks for this morning's support, I have now worked out by what and why I was bibbed and shouted at.....There must have been someone in a vehicle behind me and when I hesitated too long at the junction before crossing to dirt road, he (it has to be a he) probably nearly went into and up my exhaust PIPE! Why anyone would actually hoot at someone in this sleepy village at 7.15am on a road the leads nowhere is a mystery.
The Hawaiian war chant was sung on the beach this morning! As it was just the three of us for the first time in months DK treated us to a rendition and I realised that is not just the words and his delivery that make me crack up, it's the thought of the three little Catholic boys on stage with their leis that does it. When he sings it now he looks about 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment