Tuesday 17 January 2012

2 day post

Monday
High Tide02:45 (2.60m)
Low Tide09:14 (0.60m)
High Tide15:32 (2.20m)
Low Tide21:10 (0.90m)
Sea temperature: not taken
Sea conditions: still very low tide, medium waves
Weather: glorious sunny morning - chilly (frost in the shade)
Joined by: The Constable - henceforth to be known as 'Wrong Way J."
Topics of conversation:
Welcome back to the pirate! It's great to have him back. He went through the 4 stages of cold water swimming this morning, it's an exaggerated form of what we all go through every morning, magnified by the number of days you have been absent:

  1. Fear and trepidation - I can't do this, I might die, it's bloody freezing, the water is dangerous, does everyone here know CPR?
  2. Shock and horror - Holy Cr*p it really is bloody freezing, my heart has stopped, I can't breathe, the world is spinning, if I die it's my own fault for being such an idiot, why am I shouting but no sound is coming out?
  3. Exhilaration and euphoria - I can feel every part of my body (oh wait, not my feet or fingers), I'm alive, I'm the luckiest person alive, I am floating and my limbs are moving, the sun is rising over the sea, I'm surrounded by capable swimmers who will save me if I drown, what have I done to deserve this joy?
  4. Pride and relief - I did it, I got back into the sea and now I can get out, I'm still alive and within 15 minutes I could be warm again, I haven't made too much of a fool of myself, my trunks/costume stayed on, what on earth was the fuss all about?
The Pirate has been on retreat, the majority of which was silent and although we had discussed it before we talked about Into Great Silence, the award winning, almost silent, 3 hour film that documents the life of Carthusian monks at the Chartreuse Monastery in the French Alps. I haven't seen it and certainly wouldn't watch it on DVD as I'd need the support/discipline of watching it in a cinema, where there are no distraction, which both The Pirate and Wrong Way J. have experienced. There is a scene in the film in which the monks do speak, their 'day off' as it were and apparently they have a wonderful time sledding and so on, all the while squealing to their hearts content, at this point The Pirate's Wife leant over in the cinema and said "They sound just like Pingu!" A light moment in the silence. This led on to the sinister and gruelling film Of Gods and Men, which won the Grande Prize and Cannes. This is one which I would have to watch on DVD - I couldn't subject fellow cinema goers to my sobbing. This in turn led on to Borgen - I've caught up but The Pirate hasn't so DK and I discussed it in non-specific terms as the best thing on TV at the moment. The last 2 episodes have really been exceptional and powerful (more sobbing), why can't we make dramas like it? This also led on to The Slap - we've been given the series on DVD for Christmas and I'm trying to find time to watch it as it's been highly praised.

Tuesday
High Tide03:39 (2.50m)
Low Tide10:12 (0.70m)
High Tide16:47 (2.20m)
Low Tide22:13 (1.00m)

Sea temperature: 4.8
Sea conditions: still low tide, hardly any waves
Weather: freezing - hard frost everywhere and temperatures starting at 0 degrees first thing, rising to 2 as the sun rose
Joined by: No one
Topics of conversation:
A letter from Abs - we miss her and she wrote to explain that she won't be able to come for a while. It's admirable that she can make it at all, especially when it's so far for her to come but there'll always be a spot for her here.
Tuesdays are my early start day and I'd been up since dawn wandering the marshes in the mist, the frost was hard and the dogs really love charging about in it and rolling in the icy grass, by the time we got to the beach The Pirate was there, taking in the view.
The view
The Pirate
Marsh
Marsh mist
Trails reflected

DK



No comments:

Post a Comment